Infusing your drinking water with essential oils is a great way to support multiple body functions and systems throughout the entire day. It is extremely important that you only use consumable essential oils and in very small quantities with proper dispersion otherwise a mucous membrane dermal irritation may occur. I recommend buying a 16-24 ounce glass or stainless steel water bottle to make your recipes. Do not use a plastic water bottle as the citrus oils will disintegrate the plastic and you will not want to drink plastic infused water. The stainless steel bottles usually have hard plastic caps and they will be fine for oil use.
First, create your synergy in a small 5mL bottle and label it so you can use it again. The synergies are listed below. Place crushed ice and 1 Pink Himalayan salt crystal (optional) your 16-24 ounce glass water battle. Then add the 2 drops of your synergy on top of the ice and salt, then add cold water. That will help the oils infuse slightly better than if you add the oils last. Pink Himalayan salt has 84 minerals, elements, macrominerals, and trace minerals that disperse into the water. These minerals and elements act as little life-boats for the essential oil molecules to grab onto which are much smaller. When you shake your water after the salt has dispersed you will see how interesting your water looks as the oils are floating around suspended and dispersed in the water. You could also infuse a teaspoon of honey with the oil first, then add it to your water. I find that the salt is a better dispersant however you may not like the taste so try using a smaller crystal or if you can’t use honey, shake your bottle better before each sip. With the cap snugly in place, give the bottle a quick tip upside down before you take a sip. You will want to do this each time to pull the oils throughout the water. Do not get in the habit of rapidly shaking the bottle. This will aerate the water causing oxidation to the oils. It won’t damage them in the short term, however if you leave an oil-infused water bottle sitting for several days, it will be rancid if you shook it vigorously and then let it sit.
TOP 10 ESSENTIAL OIL-INFUSED WATER RECIPES
These are synergies so you will create them in a 5mL bottle with an orifice reducer and then use only 2 drops of each in your water.
- The Candy Cane: 10 drops Peppermint, 20 drops each Lemon and Grapefruit
- The Mint-Burst: 10 drops Peppermint, 20 drops each Tangerine, Lemon, and Lime
- The Fruit Bowl: 10 drops each Lemon, Orange, Tangerine, Lime, and Grapefruit
- The Gum Drop: 10 drops Spearmint, 20 drops each Tangerine and Lime
- The Flusher: 10 drops each Peppermint, Tangerine, Lemon, and Grapefruit (for this water synergy add 2-4 drops in your water)
- The Fresh Cleanse: 40 drops Citrus Fresh, 20 drops Jade Lemon
- The Sweet Tea: 10 drops Ocotea, 20 drops Lemon, 40 drops Tangerine
- The Licorice Crave Blocker: 10 drops Fennel, 20 drops Lemon
- The Crazy Lady: 10 drops Endoflex Vitality, 30 drops Orange Vitality
- The Hippie Breather: 10 drops Lavenders, 20 drops Lemon, 20 drops Peppermint
© 2016 Jen O’Sullivan. French Aromatherapy: Essential Oil Recipes & Usage Guide